If you are an international researcher looking for a prestigious fellowship opportunity in Germany, the Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship is an excellent option to consider. This fellowship provides researchers from all over the world with the opportunity to conduct research in Germany, receive funding, and collaborate with leading scholars in their field.
In this article, we will provide an overview of the Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship and explain how to apply for the 2023 fellowship cycle.
What is the Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship?
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is a non-profit organization that promotes international academic cooperation between researchers from different countries. The foundation was established in 1953 and named after the famous German explorer and naturalist Alexander von Humboldt.
The Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship is one of the most prestigious research fellowships in Germany. The fellowship is designed to support postdoctoral researchers and experienced researchers from all disciplines who wish to conduct research in Germany. The fellowship provides financial support for up to two years and includes a monthly stipend, travel expenses, and other benefits.
Who is Eligible for the Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship?
The Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship is open to researchers from all over the world who have completed a doctoral degree or equivalent. Applicants must have completed their degree within the last twelve years at the time of application.
In addition, applicants must have a proven record of research excellence in their field, demonstrated through publications and other research activities. Applicants must also have a host institution in Germany that is willing to support their research project.
How to Apply for the Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship?
The application process for the Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship is highly competitive and involves several stages.
- Check your eligibility: Before applying for the fellowship, make sure you meet the eligibility criteria outlined by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
- Find a host institution: Applicants must have a host institution in Germany that is willing to support their research project. Applicants should contact potential host institutions in advance and obtain a letter of invitation from the host institution.
- Prepare your application: Applicants must prepare a research proposal, which should be written in English or German. The proposal should outline the research project, its objectives, methodology, and expected outcomes. In addition, applicants must provide a detailed curriculum vitae, a list of publications, and two letters of reference from academic referees.
- Submit your application: The application must be submitted online through the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s application portal.
The deadline for the 2024 fellowship cycle is October 15, 2023. Visit here to complete and submit application
What are the Benefits of the Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship?
The Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship provides several benefits to successful applicants, including:
- Monthly stipend: The fellowship provides a monthly stipend to cover living expenses in Germany.
- Travel expenses: The fellowship also covers travel expenses to and from Germany.
- Language training: The fellowship provides language training to help fellows improve their German language skills.
- Networking opportunities: The fellowship provides opportunities for fellows to network with other researchers in their field and collaborate on research projects.
- Research funding: The fellowship provides funding to support research expenses, such as equipment and materials.
The Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship is an excellent opportunity for international researchers looking to conduct research in Germany. The fellowship provides financial support, networking opportunities, and language training to help fellows succeed in their research projects. If you are interested in applying for the 2024 fellowship cycle, make sure you check your eligibility, find a host institution, prepare your application, and submit it by the deadline. Good luck!